Friday, June 13, 2014

Friday Night: Girls' Night

In the good ole' days BK (before kids), this might have meant any number of things, but usually it included dinner and a couple of drinks with friends. However, it now means something entirely different. Girls' night now means a movie at home with my two girls and popcorn with heaps of butter and salt for dinner:) I love popcorn for dinner and the girls seem to like it, too. My 4-year old will probably also request some cheese in the form of cheddar, Parmesan, or Asiago. My almost vegetarian soy/dairy allergic 2 year old will also likely get some fresh fruit or vegetables.

Most movie nights, the movie on the agenda will be some sort of Disney Princess flick. Tonight, the girls have chosen Beauty and the Beast. I don't think I realized how scary this movie can be to young children till my oldest ran out of the room when we first tried to watch it. She was probably about 2 when we thought she would want to watch it. The scene that caused her fright??? - when Belle approached the doors of The Beast's bedroom with its ugly doorknobs. I admit I was surprised that's what frightened her given that she made it through what I think are scarier scenes. Tonight, we get to that part and she has already left the couch to get some markers to draw. Meanwhile, my two year old remains glued to watching it. She's unusual, though, in that she has always LOVED TV. At two months of age, she would turn her head away from nursing to see what was on the TV. If I let her now, she would watch it all the time. I shudder to think what the teenager years are going to be like.

After the movie is over, I will get the girls ready for bed. Then, after they are asleep, I will hang out on the couch watching Baggage Battles while folding the laundry I should have done last night. And that's what a girls' night means most of the time in my household.

No comments:

Post a Comment