Thursday, March 26, 2015

Swap.com...and Why I'm not buying from Thredup as much

I've previously reviewed both MoxieJean and Thredup as places to buy and sell your used clothing online. Since that review, Thredup has made several changes to its policies that make me less likely to purchase from them. Before describing those changes, I'll review another online consignment store I've been using: Swap.com.

Swap.com has a fairly large inventory of items, both new and used. Their pricing of kid's items is pretty good-though I think the seller has more to say in the pricing of the items. Unlike Thredup and MoxieJean, you pay to send your items in to them. As a seller, I'm not likely to do that because, well, I don't want to spend the money. They take more than kid's clothing-they sell movies, toys, etc. Because you pay to send items in to them, you make more money off of selling items...at least that is my understanding. 

If you are a buyer, the website allows several sorting options-by size, brand, type. It doesn't allow by color, which I wish it did. You can create email notifications for certain brands, sizes you like-similar to Thredup's closet settings. They allow returns-read the policy for the specifics. Shipping is free if you spend $50. 

Quality of the items is more variable on Swap.com than on MoxieJean or Thredup. They do have several ratings for the quality. I've returned a couple of items they described as "good condition" that I would describe more as "fair condition." They do have a "like new" descriptor as well. MoxieJean is still the most consistent with regard to quality.

SO, WHY NOT THREDUP ANYMORE??

I've become less likely to buy on Thredup because :1) They got rid of Thredup everyday, which allowed free shipping for a year for $20; 2) They upped their free shipping to orders of $70 and higher, and; 3) They've been doing this "final sale, no returns" thing on many of the items I might want to buy. The reality is, I'm less likely to buy used clothing if I cannot return it. I think this is a big mistake on their part. Most of their competitors allow returns. 

So, checkout Swap.com. I'm glad there is another good consignment option online. I am hoping Thredup reverses some of its changes. I'll continue to also buy from MoxieJean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment