Sunday, June 29, 2014

Cleaning Out the Closet...This is Not How I Planned My Day

Ugh, the dreaded task of cleaning out my closet and drawers. After two kids, I can't fit into many of my old clothes. I keep thinking, oh, "I can wear this again when I lose weight." Well, I decided this weekend that if I haven't worn something since before my oldest was born, who is now 4, then I probably should donate it. Unfortunately, I'm now a "Medium" instead of a "Small." Sigh. My husband commented that he now understood why women avoid this task. It's a task filled with self-criticism.

As I started the process, I started to realize just how much clothing I have that I need to get rid of. I then decided to see if there were some options to possibly make some money off of my old clothes. Most of it is in pretty good shape and, I'm ashamed to say, some items even have the tag still on them:(.

I googled options and found out there are several online consignment shops. I decided to request a bag from Thredup. Thredup is an online consignment store. They are particular and only accept certain brands. Some they will give you store credit or cash up front before the item is sold. Other items, they will place on consignment for you. I was surprised at the brands they accept versus ones they won't. For example, they will take Mossimo, but won't take Tommy Hilfiger or Liz Claiborne. So, once I receive the bag, I mail it to them, free, and it goes from there. I realize that many of my items will probably not make me some money, but if some of it does, well, more money for my Stitch Fix addiction:)

Here is the completed project:

Clothing going to Thredup



Clothing going to a local women's shelter



Once I find out what Thredup accepts and how much I make, I'll let you know if it's something you should try. I'm still not sure if I want them to send back what they don't keep. I need to check out the site more to see what they do with the items they decide are not up to their standards. If they will donate the clothes and send me a receipt, it might be worth them keeping them. If not, they can send them back to me. I will have to pay return shipping, but I can donate them locally.


No comments:

Post a Comment