Friday, July 4, 2014

Red, White, and Blue Parfait

Today was a great day for the 4th, with the exception of my 2-year old waking 2 hours earlier than her usual wake up time, and today's blistering high of 108. Nothing to do but try to get her to take a long nap and head over to the in-laws to jump in the pool.

In the tradition of all great 4th of July celebrations, my father in law barbecued. My husband decided to bring over salsa, some blue corn chips, and a sour cream dip. His "red, white, and blue" dish, if you will. I decided to make a strawberry, whip cream, and blueberry parfait for mine. Here's some pictures of how they came out:
















They really didn't take much time to make...30 minutes tops? It's a good idea to refrigerate to keep the whip cream the right consistency. I usually try to make it near the time I'm ready to serve it. You could also use Cool Whip or some other product. I've made a coconut milk whipped cream in the past. 

I think that next time, I will add more sugar to the whip cream. I made it the way I usually do, which is to throw heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and some powdered sugar or Agave nectar in and just add more if it's not sweet enough. It's not really a recipe per se. However, I think that I would have liked it sweeter because of the tartness of the berries, although they tasted pretty good on their own. Some pound cake added in is also good-I did that last year.

We ended the night with my husband attempting to read The Declaration of Independence to us and, fireworks. My kids really were not into my husband's reading, and, frankly neither was I. Don't tell my husband ;) Now, here's hoping the kids sleep later tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment