Sunday, September 7, 2014

Homemade Shaving Cream

One night I was browsing Facebook and Pinterest, as I frequently do, when I came across several websites and blogs showing how to make homemade shaving cream. I pinned one blog showing how to make Rosemary Mint Shaving Cream. I was intrigued, since I'm prone to ingrown hairs and have tried baby oil, etc trying to prevent them. While I still haven't solved that problem completely, I decided to try this recipe. The original blogger does a great job with the recipe instructions, though I might modify it the next time I make it. I want to thank her for writing such a nicely written, easily followed recipe!

I used the following ingredients, following her recipe, except I used Lavender instead of Rosemary:

1/3 cup Sweet Almond Oil
1/3 cup Coconut Oil
1/3 cup Unrefined Shea Butter.
Lavender Essential oil
Peppermint Essential oil

I bought all go the ingredients off of Amazon, except the Coconut oil. I believe I bought it at Whole Foods or Sprouts. True to the original recipe, it makes about 8 ounces. Basically, you melt the Shea butter and coconut oil on the stove, add the sweet Almond oil and essential oils to your liking, and refrigerate till it solidifies. Then, whip it! When it's done, it's creamy and looks good enough to eat!

Here's the start and the finish pictures. The original author does a great job with her instructions. 



My husband tried this batch. He found it went on very oily. He said that maybe I needed to whip it more. I think it might need more Shea butter. I'm going to try doubling it next batch.  I'm also going to just use Vanilla essential oils because I don't like Peppermint or Lavender, really. I'll update the blog if doubling the Shea butter helps make it a bit less oily and easier to put on your skin. Or maybe add cocoa butter, too?


No comments:

Post a Comment