Monday, September 29, 2014

Online Stores for Used Kids' Clothing: Thredup Versus MoxieJean

I'm hardly the first blogger to write about this topic, but I thought I would write a quick update regarding the two sites. I'll summarize the different areas and then make an overall comparison.

Inventory of Items
Thredup easily wins this category. They have a much larger selection of clothing available on their site. If you create a personal closet of items you like, they will send you updates regarding new items. Moxiejean also will e-mail regarding new arrivals, but they also say they put new stuff up twice a week. Thredup seems to put up stuff daily. I think Thredup is overall a bigger operation.

Pricing of Items
I have found both sites to be comparable, but will give the slight edge to Moxiejean here. They have sections with "Recent Markdowns," and "Clearance" items. You can get some real steals here.

Quality of Items
I haven't found much difference between the two sites. Thredup will list items as faded or with a spot and post pictures of both the front and back of the item that allow you to look at the items carefully. Moxiejean only shows the front of the item. They say they only accept "excellent" stuff.

Brands Available
Moxiejean wins here. They take many more brands than Thredup. They even sell items without a brand if it is in excellent condition.

Payout for Items Sent In
I'm wanting to give the slight edge to Thredup here, but it isn't clear cut. I think that Thredup may accept "Very Good" items whereas Moxiejean accepts only "Excellent." Of bags that I've sent in, I've gotten more money from Thredup than MoxieJean, despite MoxieJean taking more brands.

Moxiejean tells you why they did not accept your item; Thredup does not. However, Thredup includes pictures of the items they have kept in your payout email. I like the pictures and knowing when my items sell.

Thredup gives store credit or will give you a payout through Paypal, which has a transaction fee if you want to deposit in your account. Moxiejean will send you a check, but gives you 25% more if you spend it in store.

Processing of Items Sent In
Thredup seems to get items there faster, but processes them slower once they arrive. Moxiejean's items take about 2 weeks to get to them, at least from where I live, but they process them in under a week once they arrive there. So, for me, it's sort of a wash. I like that Thredup sends an email letting me know when my items arrived and estimated processing time.

Shipping Costs of Purchased Items
Both sites offer free shipping for $50 and higher purchases. Thredup also has the option to sign up for free shipping all year long for $20. I will probably sign up at the beginning of next year.

Items seem to get to you quicker from Moxiejean than Thredup after you order them, if that is a factor.

Website Design and Usability
Although I like the "prettiness" of Moxiejean's website and how they present the items, I think Thredup's website is a little bit more user friendly. It also allows you to look at other items from the same collection of stuff in case you are looking for a matching pair of pants. That being said, Moxiejean seems to keep items together a little bit better than Thredup when you send them in. They also will pair items together as matches sometimes.

Overall Winner
I think that Thredup is the slight winner here, but I will continue to buy from both sites. I probably will send in items more to Thredup than Moxiejean, but that may change depending on what I get on my latest items that I have sent in to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment