Saturday, May 9, 2015

Mother's Day...and why I'm now going to all school activities

My oldest daughter just turned 5. She's been in daycare since about 5 months of age. Initially, she was in a daycare that was located at my job. I loved the convenience of her being on site and I frequently visited her during the day to play. Right before she turned 2, our site notified us it had to close. I was sad. I loved having her so close.

We found a new place, but unfortunately, the convenience of having her on site was gone. We like our new place and they frequently have parent-child events. Of course, it's not so easy to go now in the middle of the day to visit my girls. We do usually go to weekend or weeknight events.

In my oldest daughter's class, they announced a Mom event for Mother's Day. My daughter told me, "Mom, you never go to school stuff." It hit me that even though I go to the after work things, the day things that are smack during work hours, well, I don't always go to them. I realized that the during the day events were very important to her. So, I told her I would go. She was so excited!

Yesterday was the event. She talked about it all morning before we got to school and was so excited to have me there. I've now made a pledge to try and go to all events. I'm lucky enough to have a job where I can go. I want her to know that she's important. I didn't realize before how important these events were to her, which is sort of silly. I had a great time and even brought my younger daughter over to her class. I often tell people that being a parent is the toughest job there is. Good thing that having children is worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment