Sunday, November 15, 2015

Kids' Uniforms...which brands last?

It's November and I've already started shopping for next year's uniforms. Perhaps, I'm a bit early, but I like to buy year round. I'm starting to figure out which uniforms will hold up and which ones will not. Partly this is because my daughter now comes home FILTHY from her new daycare. I'm going to do a brief review of my favorite items. My other review has good tips on where to find these items online.

Skorts/Skirts

As expected, the skorts and skirts I bought from Land's End are holding up beautifully. I bought some brand new skorts from Children's Place that are not holding up as well as the gently used skorts I've purchased that are Land's End. My favorite skorts are the canvas pull-on that have the elastic waist in back. You may pay more up front for the items if you buy new, but they will last. I've also purchased leggings from here. However, I'm not sure they are worth the extra cost. 

Leggings/Undershorts

While the skorts I've bought from Children's Place are not holding up so well, I love the leggings, especially for the price. If you hit one of their sales, you can get them for $5-$7 a piece. I also got shorts for under skirts from there and they are great. I like the stretch in the leggings.They are a combo of cotton and spandex. I also bought some Gymboree leggings and Carter's leggings. The Gymboree leggings are just as thick, but stretch out too much because they are 100% cotton. The Carter's leggings are a bit thinner and just not as great quality wise. 

Polo Shirts

I'm still figuring out here which polos are the best, but I'll give you my thoughts. For the price, you really can't beat Children's Place or Old Navy. They seem to be holding up pretty well. They aren't the softest out there, though. If you want softer polos, go for Gymboree or Gap. I can't comment on the polo shirts from Land's End, but I did break down and buy a couple of their long sleep polo dresses at my daughter's request. They are soft, but not as soft as the other places. Dockers and Izod also have decent shirts. The advantage of the rougher polos is they pill much less. My daughter hasn't complained that they are rough at all, by the way.

Other Pants

Because my daughter can't do buttons and zippers great yet, I really had to search around to find some pull-on pants. I finally found some made by Gap and Gymboree. Gap makes come cute corduroy pull-on pants. I've owned them before and they are well made. Gymboree has some pull-on ponte pants in navy that seem pretty thick. I'll update you if they don't last, but I've generally found Gymboree items hold up well.

Socks

So far the winners here are Gap and Gold Toe socks. I bought the Gold Toe socks on Amazon.

Jumpers

I don't have any clear favorites here yet. I do like the knit ones from Target. I think that they are nice because they have a bit of stretch in them. Children's Place also has some jumpers with spandex in them that are nice. 





No comments:

Post a Comment